How can I calculate and display vectors normal to a surface?
Load your dataset and then perform the following steps to calculate normal vectors in Tecplot 360 (not available in Tecplot Focus):
- Click on the Analyze menu and select Calculate Variables
- Select Grid K Unit Normal (vector)
- Set the New Var Location to Cell Center or Node, depending on the desired vector location with respect to the grid.
- Click Calculate
To display vectors in Tecplot 360/Focus, perform the following steps:
- Turn on the Vector layer (checkbox to the left of the plot frame)
- Select the normal vector component variables, when prompted
- If the normals are located at the cell center, click Zone Style, select the Points tab, and set Points To Plot to Cell Centers Near Surfaces.